Write postcards to voters
Get started postcarding from home! Here’s how:
There are three steps: buy (or create) your supplies, get addresses & scripts, and let us know how many you’ve written. Here’s how to get started.
STEP ONE: GET POSTCARDS & STAMPS
With “shelter-in-place” orders in effect, the Volunteer Center no longer provides postcard packets. If you have the funds available, you will have to supply your own postcards and stamps. If you do NOT have funds available, Sister District CA-3 and Indivisible Yolo have limited funds available to have supplies mailed directly to your home (apply here).
Important note: Use cards that are inclusive. If you buy, print, or make postcards, the images and words should be issue-neutral/benign/safe. Do not depict any holiday. Here are some options:
The US Post Office requires postcards to be on cardstock and a minimum of 3.5” x 5” and a maximum of 4.25” x 6”. Here are ideas on how you can create your own:
- Cut one piece of cardstock into four 5.5” x 4.25” postcards. Leave one side blank for your message. On the other side, leave room for an address and stamp on the right; on the left, you have room to draw or stamp a design.
- Use index cards that fit the size requirements.
- Print out some of our designs onto cardstock (designs here). Or use your own computer skills to create postcards to print.
- You can buy pre-stamped postcards through the U.S. Post Office here
- You can buy postcards directly from Postcards to Voters here
- You can go on Amazon and find boxes of postcards like this
BUY POSTCARD STAMPS
- No stamps are needed if you buy pre-stamped postcards like these
- Postcard stamps are available directly from the US Post Office here
STEP TWO: GET ADDRESSES AND SCRIPTS
You can get addresses and scripts from either Postcards to Voters or directly from the Sister District CA-3/Indivisible Yolo postcard team.
POSTCARDS TO VOTERS is an all-volunteer organization that sends out info sheets, scripts, and addresses to volunteers through text and/or email. There are two important steps to get started, but once you’re set up, it is very easy to request more addresses whenever you want. To become an approved writer:
- Text JOIN to 484-275-2229
- Follow instructions which will be sent to you. You will have to write a practice postcard, take a photo of it with your phone, and send it in to be approved.
STEP THREE: REPORT HOW MANY CARDS YOU HAVE WRITTEN
It’s easy: you can look in your emails and count up the number of addresses you’ve requested, or you can go into your texts, find “Abby the Democrat” and request your stats. When you have your number, tell us about it by filling out this survey: https://forms.gle/iVqRmhRxz9Bw3Tzr9
We want to know so we can celebrate how much we have achieved together, in spite of the unusual time we are in.